Saturday, May 16, 2009

Holding Maggie for the First Time (or when I finally started feeling like a mom)

Unlike most moms I had to wait 5 days before I got to hold any of my babies. But 5 days after they were born on May 12th I got to hold my "biggest" daughter, Maggie! It was such an amazing feeling.
As you can see, when the nurse put her in my arms, I started to cry. She is so tiny, but so perfect.


I knew I was only going to get to hold her for a few minutes. The nurses were not sure how well she would do holding her temperatures up and she still had her umbilical lines in so we had to swaddle her as to make sure we were not taking any chances on pulling her lines out!


I had to call my parents and tell them I was holding Maggie. I started to cry again!!

On Friday all three babies had their umbilical lines removed (Maggie and Sophie now have a Picc line) (A peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC or PIC line) is a form of intravenous access that can be used for a prolonged period of time (e.g. for long chemotherapy regimens, extended antibiotic therapy, or total parenteral nutrition).) Maggie and Sophie require their Picc line for total parenteral nutrition (TPN- a solution including all the salts, glucose, amino acids, lipids and added vitamins needed for nutrition ) which they will require until their stomachs are able to tolerate enough breast milk during a feed to provide them adequate calories. Charlie is already getting enough breast milk during feeds (with additional calories added) so he does not need TPN any longer!

As all 3 babies no longer have lines in their umbilical cords they can all be held. Chris and I are now doing what is called Kangaroo Care, where the baby is placed against our chest, skin to skin, with a blanket draped over them to keep them warm. This provides the babies with our body heat so their temperatures stay stable as well as providing a bonding and calming experience for both the babies and Chris and I! Right now we can do Kangaroo care every other day with Sophie. We are not sure if we will be able to do daily or every other day Kangaroo care with Charlie and Maggie.

But as of now I have held Charlie once, Maggie three times, and Sophie once.
Chris has held Charlie twice, and Maggie once. He will get to hold Sophie for the first time tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment